Violence, consent, reporting, remedies, court cases, compensation . . . Sexual assault is a delicate matter and raises many questions. Éducaloi has created this special guide to answer questions you might have. It also lists resources for victims and their loved ones.
Sexual Assault and Consent
Consent means agreement. The law says that a sexual act without the free and informed consent of both partners can be a sexual assault.
- What is “free and informed consent”? How can you be sure you have your partner’s consent?
In some situations, a person’s consent is not valid. In the eyes of the law, it’s as though the person did not consent.
- When is consent not valid?
The law sets the minimum age for consenting to a sexual activity.
- What is the age for sexual consent in Canada? Are there any exceptions?
Reporting Sexual Assault
Is there a time limit for taking an aggressor to court for sexual assault? Who takes the aggressor to court? Does the victim have to hire a lawyer? The answers are different for civil and criminal cases.
The criminal court process can be difficult for victims. So, the law gives them special rights to ensure they play a role in court cases against their aggressors.
Sexual Harassment at Work
Improper conduct, degrading remarks, provocative attitude . . . Sexual harassment at work can have serious consequences. How does the law protect employees? What remedies do they have?
Services and Remedies
Victims of sexual assault have various services and remedies available to them.
Help and Resources for Victims and Their Loved Ones
- Community Justice Centres offers face-to-face legal information, support and referral services free of charge.
- Crime Victims Assistance Centres (CAVACs) offer crime victims help free of charge: 1-866-532-2822
- The provincial toll-free helpline gives information and referrals 24 hours a day, seven days a week: 1-888-933-9007.
- The Quebec coalition of sexual assault centres (CALACs) help women, teenage girls and their loved ones. You can reach them any time on their website.