On this International Volunteer Day, Éducaloi salutes the volunteer legal professionals who make our high school workshop program possible!   Éducaloi’s volunteers run free introductory workshops in classrooms in English or French. This school year alone, over 200 volunteers gave nearly 14,000 high school students across Quebec a chance to learn about the law. Enthusiasm for our program continues! Over 250 teachers have asked for workshops... Read more

  Éducaloi recently met with members of Ukraine’s legal community as part of the Canadian-Ukrainian project “Support to Judicial Reform.”   Éducaloi shares its expertise Denis Jacques, judge of the Quebec Superior Court, and Francis Barragan, Éducaloi’s Corporate Strategy Advisor, spoke about Éducaloi’s activities and legal plain language expertise.   A Ukrainian Éducaloi? The stakes are high for Ukraine: restoring citizens’ confidence in the... Read more

Starting December 1, companies won’t be allowed to charge for unlocking your cellphone. Up to now, the phone you bought from a cellphone company was locked. If you wanted to change service provider but keep your phone, you had to pay to have the phone unlocked.   The change in law means two things: Starting December 1, all cellphones will be sold unlocked.  Cellphones bought before December 1 can be unlocked for free.

It can be complicated to ask a court for a divorce or a change to a decision in a family matter. That’s why we’ve created guides that walk you through the steps.     Applying for a Divorce This guide and model documents help you manage without a lawyer.    Careful! Each situation is different.  To understand if you need a lawyer, a temporary court decision or can avoid going to court, read our fact sheet What You Need to Know Before Applying... Read more

On November 5, Quebecers will vote in municipal elections. What are they all about?   The Municipality: a Local Government You’ll be electing the city council. It includes a mayor and several city councillors who serve for four years. The city council decides the municipality’s major policies and priorities and ensures they meet the collective needs of residents. It is responsible for important issues such as economic development, urban... Read more

A class action lawsuit against manufacturers of polyurethane foam has been settled: $38 million dollars will be paid to affected consumers.    Did you buy a couch, mattress or office chair between 1999 and 2012? If it was made in Canada with flexible polyurethane foam, you probably paid too much for it! This means you might be one of the consumers affected by the class action and can receive a payout. The settlement applies to other types of... Read more

You want to take a case to small claims court? Or perhaps you’ve been sued in this court? Éducaloi and the Table de concertation en matière de petites créances have collaborated on two tools to help you.   The first pamphlet is for plaintiffs – people who take claims to court. It answers questions like how to know if you have a good case and how to collect money if you win. What if you are being sued? How do you challenge the claim? What... Read more

International Conference on Plain Legal Language   Éducaloi is proud to host the next Clarity conference in Montreal from 25-27 October 2018. The theme for Clarity 2018 is Plain Language in Modern Times. Plain legal language means communicating the law in language that is easy to understand. In all its website articles, Éducaloi explains the law in simple language accessible to everyone. Plain legal language is promoted internationally by... Read more