Renting Your Place to Travellers? Careful!


Fuse / iStock / Thinkstock

Specialized websites make it easy to rent a room, apartment or home to travellers. But be careful! In Quebec, there are rules, no matter which website you use. This article explains the basic rules, and refers you to other sources of information.


Renting to Travellers: Sometimes, Often …?

If you only rent "occasionally", there are not too many rules to follow.

The law does not define "occasionally." But Tourism Québec gives some examples:

  • renting a country house during school break week
  • renting your house every year during an annual festival

If you rent regularly, you must get a tourist lodging permit (website in French only). Renting a room every weekend is an example of renting regularly.

Tourism Quebec has a pamphlet (in French only) with more examples of what it means to rent occasionally versus regularly.


Note: You don't need a permit to rent more than 31 days in a row. In these situations, you are considered to be leasing or subletting.


Other People Affected?

Before posting an ad online, speak to other people who might be affected. This could include your landlord, the board of your condo complex, your insurance company, neighbours and relatives.


Tenants: Speak to Your Landlords

Renting to travellers could be considered a sublet or a commercial activity.  


Co-Ownership: Renting Not Always Allowed

Check with the board of your condo complex. There might be rules about renting.

Want to learn more? See the website lacopriété.info (in French only).


Different Insurance Companies, Different Rules

Your insurance policy might not cover you if you rent to travellers.

Careful! It's best to be honest: your insurance company might refuse a claim if you didn't tell it you were renting.


Neighbours, Roommates, Relatives…..

Constant coming and going at your place could disturb the neighbours. Learn about the rules between neighbours to make sure you don't ruffle any feathers!

Do you live with other people? It's a good idea to discuss any plans to rent, even if you are only renting your room. Read our articles on co-tenants and the family residence.


Report Income and Collect Taxes

Every year, you must report rental income like you would any other income. Depending on your situation, you might also have to collect GST, Quebec sales tax and the lodging tax, and pay these taxes to the government.

For more information, visit the Revenu Québec website.