Divorce and Separation Procedure: Useful Resources


Gajus / iStock / Thinkstock

When you’re going through a divorce or separation, you might not know where to get help or advice from a legal professional at little or no cost. Éducaloi has put together a list of some of the main resources available in Quebec.


General Information on Divorce and Separation Procedure

If you’re looking for general information on how to get a divorce or separation, the following resources can help:

  • The government website Services Québec has information for couples on their rights and obligations when they get divorced or separated. The articles are clear and give information for both married and common-law couples, as well as on visiting arrangements for children (custody and visiting rights).
  • The information service of the Ministère de la Justice du Québec (Quebec justice department) can give you general information about rules of procedure in Quebec law. You can reach this service in these ways:
  • The section Divorce and Separation on the government of Canada’s website also has information on how to proceed.

The website of the Chambre des notaires du Québec (Quebec’s professional association of notaries) has a section “Famille et couple” (families and couples) with useful information on separation and divorce (French only).

They also offer a legal information telephone service, 1-800-NOTAIRE, where you can speak to a notary for free. You might also find answers to your questions online at 1-800-NOTAIRE 2.0 (French only).


Free or Low-Cost Legal Services

You can also consult a legal professional or an organization that offers legal information for free or at low cost.

Are you interested in family mediation services?

Family mediation is a way of trying to settle issues following a break-up without going to court.

The website of the Ministère de la Justice du Québec (Quebec justice department) has a search tool to help you find a certified mediator.


Child Custody and Child Support Payments

Do you need to know how to change a court decision about your children’s living arrangements (custody and visiting rights) or child support payments? Read our articles Changes in Child Custody and Changing Child Support Using the SARPA Service.