The Plain Language Specialist and Translator will develop legal information and education projects that respond to the needs of different target audiences, especially Quebec’s English-speaking communities. In addition, the professional will revise and translate (French to English) content created for Éducaloi’s web platforms and for special projects. A versatile professional, this person will accompany Éducaloi partners seeking assistance with legal communications.
The person will report to the Chief Plain Language Specialist.
- Create and update plain language legal content for different target audiences and a variety of media (Web, video, paper, infographics, etc.)
- Translate legal information and education documents
- Review translations done by external freelancers and Éducaloi staff
- Develop and give legal information workshops and training sessions for the general public and community workers
- Lead consulting services projects for a variety of clients and partners, including legal organizations, community groups, government partners and businesses
- Ensure high-quality legal communications through rigorous legal research and analysis
- Collaborate with colleagues, Éducaloi management and external partners on various projects, especially as a translator and proof-reader
- Carry out project management tasks for collaborative legal information and education projects
- React quickly to development opportunities by keeping up-to-date on the needs of target clientele and best practices for plain language legal communication
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with the organization’s partners and clients
- Take initiative and actively work towards Éducaloi’s success by sharing information, leveraging your network, researching funding opportunities and sharing your skills
Skills and requirements
- Member of the Barrreau du Québec or the Chambre des notaires (equivalent accreditation from another jurisdiction may be considered)
- At least three years of work experience in the legal field
- Training or experience in communication or journalism an asset
- Training or experience in project management an asset
- High skill level in these areas:
- Writing and communicating using plain legal language
- Legal research and analysis
- Designing effective and creative legal information and education tools
- A gift for simplifying complex information and communicating clearly
- Perfect knowledge of English (written and spoken) and excellent knowledge of French (work environment in French)
- Strong knowledge of common software tools, especially Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- A valid driver’s license is an asset
- Creative and meticulous self-starter
- Well organized and able to determine workload priorities
- Good with people and able to work in a multidisciplinary team
- Able to respect budgets and tight deadlines
- Full-time contract position
- Length: 12 months, with possibility of renewal
- Job Posting Period: November 15 – December 13, 2019*
Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Cover letter
- A text of 500 to 700 words in English answering this question:
“In your opinion, what are the biggest challenges when it comes to 1) plain language legal communication for the general public; and 2) the translation of simplified legal content?
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
* Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the position might be filled at any time.
You can download this job posting in PDF format.