Guide: Making Changes to a Divorce Judgment

Andréa Nicolas-Cloutier

A divorce decision made by a court might have to be changed if the situation of the people involved changes. For example, the income of an ex-spouse might have increased or decreased, or children might have reached age 18 and be able to support themselves.

We've created a guide that explains, step by step, how to ask to for a change to a divorce decision. You can change

  • child support,
  • spousal support, or
  • child custody (living arrangements for a child).

We've also created a model you can fill out based on your situation.



This guide is up-to-date to March 1, 2017.


The guide is meant as legal information, not legal advice. If you need advice on a specific situation, consult a lawyer or notary. This guide only applies in Quebec.