Guide: Changing a Judgment (Common-Law Couples)

Andréa Nicolas-Cloutier

Sometimes a court decision about child custody and child support has to be changed. (Custody refers to living arrangenents for a child.)

A change might be necessary if the parents’ or the children’s situation has changed. For example, the income of an ex-spouse might have gone up or down, or children might have reached age 18 and now be able to support themselves.

We've created a step-by-step guide that explains how to ask to for a change to a court decision on these issues:

  • child support
  • child custody and access

We've also created models you can fill out.

Important! This guide is for you if you were not married to your ex-partner. If you were married, you should read our guide “Making Changes to a Divorce Judgment.”


This guide is up-to-date to March 1, 2017.


The guide is meant as legal information, not legal advice. If you need advice on a specific situation, consult a lawyer or notary. This guide only applies in Quebec.


Important !
This article explains in a general way the law that applies in Quebec. This article is not a legal opinion or legal advice. To find out the specific rules for your situation, consult a lawyer or notary.